Thursday, January 22, 2009

The life of a full-time working/nursing mother . . .

I know a lot of people are curious as to how I work full-time and continue to exclusively offer breast milk to Avery. It's no easy feat, let me tell you!! Here is an outline of a typical workday:

1am-3am: Avery wakes up for a feeding (& diaper change)
6am: out of bed, get ready for work
6:30am: wake Avery up to feed & change her (then she goes back to sleep with Daddy)
6:45am: pump before leaving for work (then pack pump and my lunch for the day)
7:10am: out the door on my way into work
7:45am: arrive and "work" or play online and eat breakfast ;-)
9:30am: pump again at work in my office (door shut and locked obviously)
**the whole pumping process takes me about 30 minutes from set-up to clean-up**
11:30am: pump at work again
1:00pm: lunch break - head to daycare to feed Avery (yes, I do this EVERY day)
3:30pm: pump at work again
5:00pm: leave to pick up Avery from daycare
5:45-9pm: Nurse, clean, cook, eat, clean, nurse, baths
9pm: nurse Avery and put her to bed for the night (my favorite nursing session-soft light and sweet sleepy baby in my arms-LOVE IT)
9:15-10:30pm: get bottles ready for the next day, run the dishwasher and get pump set up for the morning; maybe watch a little TV. . .then bed for me finally!

Sound fun?! In case you lost count, that's 4 pumping sessions every day. It's worth it, really, it is. I'll admit that I think about introducing a little formula more often these days, but it is an emotional thing for me. I'm just not ready to do it yet. I'm proud of my success with breastfeeding . . .just wish I weren't so DARN tired!

*I left one thing off the schedule. . .7:45am-COFFEE TIME!! LOL

ZZz Zzz zzz . . .Andrea

No comments: